Early Morning Fishing (Day 17)

This morning I was woken up at 5 am by my host brother to go fishing.  We ate breakfast quickly, and was at the beach by 6 am.  The ocean was even deeper and more dangerous than yesterday.  The normal spot that we fish off the tetra pod was completely covered in water.  In the beginning it seemed like it would be a good day to catch fish.  We caught two fish very quickly.  It is a type of fish called Apogon Semilineatus.

Then I accidentally caught a huge puffer fish.  This type of puffer fish is safe to touch from the outside, but it has extreme poison on the inside.  Because of this poison, you have to have a licence to cook or take it home.  The other annoying thing about puffer fish is that it has razor sharp teeth, so it is hard to get the hook off.
Then my reel broke, so I had to bike 4 kilometers to go buy a new one.  The handle had fallen off.  The fishing store said that they were going to try to fix it, but it will take a bit so I bought another reel.  I saw about for police men that were lined up at attention on the way to the fishing store.  Usually there are not police like this in our area of Japan.  They are usually patrolling or waiting in the police station.  I was wondering why they were there.  Then Ryosuke remembered that there was a monkey that showed up near the Evergreen, the drug store, and realized that they had posted 4 police men in different positions hiding to try to catch the monkey.  I found this very funny because in the US they would never post 4 police men at attention for the sole purpose of catching a monkey in a drug store.  We caught very few fish today, but my younger host brother Ryosuke caught a big crab.  However the crab died on the way home, so we could not eat it.
Today's catch
We made takoyaki for dinner.  It is harder than it looks because it is hard to turn the ball without destroying it.  We put an assortment of foods into the ball including, octopus, cheese, and sausage.  It was very good.

Comments

  1. Your days fishing sound very dramatic! Hope the sea calms down. Did they find the monkey? Glad that you enjoyed dinner.You must have been hungry after your big day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that they found the monkey. I'm pretty sure that it went back into the mountains. Yes I am very tired. Will make sure I get some rest.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Noah
    It sounds like you are enjoying the nature of INAKA. Did you happen to see the monkey?
    If you do, do not look in the eyes.... they will take it offensive, I heard. They can attack you. Also, they can come in a big group. Although I have never seen one walking around.....
    About the fishing, please try not to go when the weather is bad. There are many accidents during the rainy season by the shore. Please pay attention to the weather forecast, and wave and tide prediction. Ocean can be very, very scary. Anyway, have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK Will do. I did not see the monkey. I am always careful at the ocean

      Delete

Post a Comment