Fishing (Day 16)

This morning I had club activities starting at 8:30, so I had to leave the house at around 8.  Once I got to the school I got lost for about ten minutes because I could not find the gym.  All the buildings look similar.  The table tennis club practices on the second floor of the gym, where there are about 9 table tennis tables set up.  Practice lasted until around 11:30, and I came home to prepare to go fishing with my host brothers.  It takes a while to set up the fishing rods because it is a fishing rod without a reel.  The ocean was extremely wild today, so it was pretty dangerous to be on the tetra pods.  The waves would crash on the tetra pods, and splash the entire area.  There were also whirlpools in the water that were made from the drawing of the waves.  The normal area that we would go to fish off the tetra pods was completely covered in water.  The type of fishing that I would usually do is called "sabiki".  It is a type of fishing where the bait is released from a crate, and the bait would float up onto the line which would have about 8 hooks on it, the fish would go for the bait, and would accidentally catch onto the hook.  It is designed to catch small fish.  This relies on the bait going straight up the line out of the crate, and with the rough water this is not possible.  Because of this Shunnsuke and I had to go to a fishing store called "Morita", and buy a rode made for "anazuri", hole fishing.  This is a type of fishing that is used to fish in between the tetra pods.  This type of fishing is for gashira which is a larger fish.  Morita is about 4 kilometers away, so we did not have a lot of time to fish.  I was only able to catch one fish.  Ryosuke, my younger host brother, was doing "anazuri" the whole time, so he had caught most of the fish.  He had caught both gashira and another fish called bur which is a large fish.  Tomorrow morning we plan to go fishing again hopefully with better luck.

The fish that Ryosuke caught
The big one is buri 

The ocean during the day
The ocean at night

Comments