Cooking Dinner (Day 57)

After my exams today I went to have lunch with Miguel.  Afterwards Miguel took the train to Miyahara where I picked him up to hang out in Itoga.  I also prayed at the oldest shrine in Japan, which just happens to be in my town.  It is called Inari Jinjya.  I showed him around the town, but he was extremely tired because he was up late studying for his exams last night.  He went home at around 3, and I took the train back to Minoshima to buy a parting gift for my host family.  I bought them a nice teapot.  I will give it to them tomorrow morning.




The teapot

Then I came back home took a nap until I was awoken by my host grandma.  She told me that my obaachan was calling to see if I wanted to see my ojichan, grandpa, soon.  I went to see my ojichan who is currently staying in a senior home in Hatsushima.  I played shogi with him.  He is the person who originally taught me the basics of shogi.  We played 3 games.  He used to be a lot better than me, but now I am able to beat him.  I won all three times and the last match I played without a rook.  However I think that he is still a very good player and he is still very competitive when I play with a handicap.
Ojichan setting up his pieces
Then I went home to cook dinner.  My former kantoku, baseball coach, told me that I had to make one meal for the family while I stayed at the host family.  I made hamburgers.  In Japan the meat has to be well done, so I had to make well done hamburgers.  There are a couple other compromises I had to make such as the bun.  They don't sell hamburger rolls here, so I had to get regular bread and change a couple things up.





Comments